All opt-out requests must be received during the Semester Enrollment Period. Fall Enrollment Period: August 20th - October 1st.
If you will be residing outside of the United States while taking classes, please contact the UIUC Student Insurance Office about waiving coverage
In order to waive, or opt-out of UIUC's Student Health Insurance plan, students must complete a Waiver Form, located at: https://studentcenter.uhcsr.com/illinois
Waiver requests must be received **during the Enrollment Change Period**. Refer to the website Main Page for dates.
Waiver forms can be submitted for any individual semester, however, if a student waives coverage in the Fall, coverage will continue to be waived for the remainder of the Academic Year. If you wish to waive coverage for the entire time you are a student at UIUC, you will need to submit a waiver each Academic Year.
In order for a Waiver to be approved, students must provide proof of being actively enrolled in a comparable plan.
- Must be a US State-based plan with a US phone number/call center.
- Coverage must be effective on or before the 1st day of the Semester and extend through the remainder of the Academic Year.
- Must provide access to in-Network non-emergent care within a 50 mile radius of the C-U campus.
- Must be compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Including but not limited to:
- unlimited lifetime benefit
- no restrictions on preexisting conditions
- provides benefits for mental health care services
Once a Waiver has been approved, allow 7-10 business day for the fee to be refunded.
If your waiver request was denied, and you believe this decision was reached in error, you must contact UnitedHealthcare StudentResources customer service by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.